Gnome Icon Theme Symbolic's purpose is to extend the base icon theme that follows the Tango style guidelines for specific purposes.
This would include OSD messages, panel system/notification area, and possibly menu icons.
Icons follow the naming specification, but have a -symbolic suffix, so only applications specifically looking up these symbolic icons will render them. If a -symbolic icon is missing, the app will fall back to the regular name.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· sync with gnome-icon-theme for notifications
· make status icons more legible (bug #698700)
· muted (bug #698700)
· window control icons (bug #697930)
· screen rotation status (bug #698257)
· headset vs headphones icon